Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Dear Photography

Dear Photography

I wanted to take this opportunity to express to me how much you stress me out. No, really, you do. The fact that when I participate in what you have to offer, I'm then considered an "artist" is probably the scariest of all. Me? An artist? I mean really, let's be honest here, I'm no artist. Yet people continue to call me that.
Although you stress me out, I've always had that kind of connection with you. Remember that afternoon in June? Yes you do. The one where me, Melissa, mom, dad, and scooter went out back for some fun? I was wearing the worse possible outfit combination possible. A camo-print shirt and sunflower shorts? Clearly dad must have dressed me, he was always putting his daughters in camo. I think we spent 5 hours in the backyard. I got bit by mosquitos and Melissa stepped in dog poop; and you were able to produce the most beautiful representation of mom. Good job there. We ended up in the neighbors pool, jumping in picture included.

So you and I have history. After I got my first DSLR, we got to know each other a little more. A LOT more. Suddenly you kept throwing stuff at me. ISO....Aperture....Shutter Speed. New vocabulary. I've never been fantastic with dictionary definitions. It's been all about the result.

It's been 5 years since I started learning. 5 years. And I still feel like I don't know what the heck I'm doing. See how much you stress me out? I guess that's the thing about me and you. You scare me and yet I'm determined to get better. Not professionally though. Never professionally. But as an amateur, yes. You'll always have a place in my life. You'll always push me to be better, even when it scares me.

0 comments:

 

Blogger